WHAT IS LAB GROWN DIAMONDS?
Instead of being formed over millennia below the Earth’s crust, it takes about six to 10 weeks to produce a lab-grown diamond by blasting carbon fragments with heat, chemicals and gases that replicate the natural process. (The official term for this is “microwave enhanced plasma chemical vapour deposition.”)
There is just one difference between Lab-Grown Diamonds and Mined Diamonds that one grows in a laboratory and the other one beneath the earth surface. These diamonds are chemically, physically and optically 100% same as the mined diamonds. Above everything TYPE IIa mined diamonds contribute on 2% of total diamond mined in the world and when it comes to Lab-Grown Diamonds everything is TYPE IIa.
Type IIa Diamonds
Diamond type is a method of scientifically classifying diamonds, both grown and mined, by the level and type of their chemical impurities. Type IIa diamonds make up 1–2% of all mined diamonds.
Type lla diamonds are almost or entirely devoid of impurities. A colourless Lab Grown Diamond is classified as type IIa which is considered to be the purest form of diamond known to man.
Many large, famous diamonds, such as the Cullinan and Koh-i-Noor, are type IIa. A renowned example is the “Elizabeth Taylor Diamond,” formerly known as the “Krupp Diamond,” a 33.19-carat Type IIa diamond.
The process to create a Lab Grown Diamond begins with a tiny seed of natural diamond. Under highly controlled conditions, the small diamond seed begins to grow, molecule by molecule, layer by layer, emulating nature’s process. Over the course of several weeks, a pure carbon crystal can be grown.
How Lab Grown Diamonds are made:
- Lab-grown diamonds are cultivated from a carbon plate known as a seed.
- The seed is placed inside a low-pressure microwave chamber.
- Hydrogen and methane gases are then introduced.
- A microwave generator pumps energy into the chamber that ignites a glowing plasma ball.
- Carbon molecules shower on the seed, layering on top of it and fast-tracking the natural crystallization process.
- The process is completed within six to 10 weeks.
- The diamond is cut with a laser, polished and then certified.
- To promote CVD with precise disclosure , the GROWN diamond is laser inscribed as “Lab Grown” with ID code invisible to the naked eye that can only be seen through a microscope.
Subscribe now and be the first to know about alluring new styles, special offers, and updates.